Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Where's Calgary?

I was explaining to a friend, a former flight attendant on domestic routes, that my plane leaving from San Francisco to Europe had to stop in Calgary to refuel. I found it amusing because I thought, wow, gas prices must be bad when you have to make a stop in a different country en route to your non-stop destination.

“Where’s Calgary?” she asked.

She wasn’t joking.

When I was explaining this to another friend, out of concern that a former flight attendant didn’t know her geography, she said to me, “um, I don’t know where it is, either.” Oops.

Two smart women, one with street smarts and one with a university degree. Neither know their geography. And to be fair, I don't know everything about geography... but Canada is our neighbor.

Calgary is in the province of Alberta, Canada.

2 Comments:

At 6/24/2006, Blogger Jenn said...

I am from Calgary, it is a great city. Too bad more people don't know where it is.....

Jenn

 
At 7/07/2006, Blogger Half Swede said...

I hear you! I'm trying to do my part by promoting geography lessons amongst my friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home