Monday, October 31, 2005

"Gangstas" can dress smart, too

The NBA dress code story and opinions are interesting because my opinion on the matter, and it’s only my opinion, covers personal experience with two main perspectives. First, I have friends across the board: hip-hop “gangsta” types to uptight corporate types. And when you get to know them, none of them actually live up to the stereotype placed on them because of their appearance. Second, I work for a living just like the NBA men do. The basketball court is their workplace.

Here’s why I’m mentioning the NBA story in the first place. I was watching a program I like and the Caucasian host was interviewing one of his favorite African-American NBA players and he said: “Don’t you feel like this dress code issue has racial undertones?” And I found the response by the player to be very honest and thought-provoking: “You know, no. I dress up in a suit on my own because I like to and plenty of my teammates dress in their own style. For them it might feel that way but a black man can wear a suit just like a white man can.”

See how he spun that? Think about it.

What is wrong with a black man, woman or any other person from various backgrounds wearing a suit? It doesn’t make you white, it simply makes you appear professional. And believe me, I have seen plenty of men (and women) in suits and "smart-casual attire" act inappropriately – so the suit doesn’t make the person, not after you meet them anyhow.

I wear whatever I want when I’m not at work and when I’m at work, I do dress professionally because I want to present myself in a manner that garners respect (not that I get any) for myself and for my organization. Yes, it’s required but I also want to be taken seriously when I meet with a vendor or client.

The basketball court is the workplace for the basketball stars. I agree that some of the commissioner’s dress code requests might be a bit much but to present the NBA in a slightly more professional manner when you’re sidelined doesn’t have to take away from who you are as a person. Like I mentioned, anyone can still be a jerk in a suit or semi-professional attire – but wear it because you like what you do for a living and you want to be taken seriously.

Save your street clothes for when you’re off the clock, like I do. Tomorrow’s kids, also known as our future and the people taking care of us when we’re old, are looking up to you – don’t you, as a player and role model, want to keep a little respect moving across the generations? It's not too much to ask when given thought, show a little respect and you’ll get some in return.

And for the record, all my black friends say I dance good for a white girl. Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home