Friday, January 27, 2006

The driving force

There are mornings where I’m faced with two choices as I slide behind the wheel of the car: a) stay on track and head directly to work without passing "go" and collecting $200 or b) continue along the congested freeway until I find the appropriate anywhere-but-there exit. If decent public transportation was available along my route, I would not feel compelled to create such options for myself. However, seeing as that’s not an option, I officially declare a case of I’m-in-a-rut due to the overwhelming temptation of option b in recent weeks.

This week, however, has been the granddaddy of anywhere-but-there fantasies. After four years at a fairly decent gig, I see the need for change in my immediate future. I’ve considered leaving for several months but I found the driving force to set me into high gear on the job hunt: new management.

A classic CEO move has been discovered this week and idyllic masks have been removed. It’s the move where the new boss comes in promising unity, continued growth and the almighty open door policy. In hindsight, I realize my gut instinct of something isn’t right here while hoping I was wrong was…well, right. Fast forward three months and all I hear are complaints about the disappearing CEO. Essentially, the open door has slammed shut. Key people are being left out of important decision-making meetings, the CEO has formed the class system of new communication channels and too many people, my department and self included, are left in the dark. When the lights go out the scrambling of blame, low morale and bitterness can be heard in the far corners as someone tries to find the missing light switch. If this were a play I would curtsy and exit stage-left.

I will refrain from exiting until I find a new opportunity but there is no point staying in an unrewarding work environment. Time to grab the bull by the horns and make a change. Like moving, change is scary until you’ve actually gone through it. It’s time again to look forward to heading to work in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home