Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Common courtesy is not rocket science

Each time a new technological gadget or form of communication is introduced to the masses, a guideline for proper handling and etiquette should be required for consumers to read/listen to/watch before use can begin.

It took me years to convince my dad to take his cell phone calls outside of restaurants but there's now another trend that requires a little how-to help on the etiquette front: text messaging.

My friend and former coworker Molly is a hilarious, independent, single mother who looks related to Kelly Ripa and has been giving online dating a try. She has had fairly decent luck but the last two men, each of whom she has taken a month to get to know, share a common thread: they cancelled their first dates with her via text messages. That’s right, they sent a text message which comes from the same gadget known as the cell phone.

Molly is understandably disappointed but mainly because neither of these men took the time to pick up the phone and instead opted for the easy way out: I’m sorry, I can’t make it tomorrow. Will call you to reschedule. One could spend hours analyzing the text versus calling factor but in this case it’s safe to say that her dates just didn’t care enough or feel attached enough to make the effort; better to find out early that these dates were duds from the start.

I dated a guy a few years ago who would text me about our weeknight plans. We’d carry on brief chats that went something like this:

Him: Dinner?
Me: sure
Him:
what should we have?
Me: Thai, Japanese or burgers are fine
Him: In n Out?
Me: Ok. Your place?
Him:
Yes, 7 ok?
Me: Ok. I'll pick up food.

We made plans via text to catch a movie one night and he completely forgot about it because his cell phone was in the car (the ultimate lazy move and excuse). Here’s the kicker: he was supposed to swing by my place and pick me up on the way. He didn’t even remember our plans until I drove to his place after being unable to reach him, worried something had happened, only to find him watching an All Blacks rugby match he had taped. Hindsight, I tell you.

Technology is fantastic except when it makes us lazy. Text when you’re on your way or running late. Call when you’re cancelling a date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home