Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My brother the father

My older brother, also known as ohmygod-your-brother-is-so-hot growing up, celebrated his daughter’s first birthday recently. He lives on the opposite coast and I wasn’t able to join in the festivities this time, but it is still amazing to watch how fatherhood has turned my brother into a man.

Girls in high school would dedicate songs to my brother on the radio. He was popular, good looking and he knew it; a lethal combination for sensitive hearts. One flash of his pearly whites and girls would giggle themselves silly. I often wanted to stand behind him when he talked to girls and hold up a sign reading “run now, thank me later”. He is the reason I can spot a player a mile away. He is also the reason I don’t date players (alright, so I was oblivious to one or two).

Then fatherhood hit. He had just purchased his first home and was wondering where to place a pool table in his bachelor pad. Next thing he knew it was goodbye bachelor pad, hello family and baby room.

And you know what? Fatherhood is the best thing that ever happened to him. He can change a diaper in twenty seconds flat, check the weather to make sure he has a warm sweater handy for his daughter, and the way he speaks proudly about his family leaves me speechless. Mr. Selfish has become Mr. Family Man. One flash of his daughter’s four pearly whites and my brother giggles himself silly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home