Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A sensitive topic

There is an interesting article on BBC News online today regarding abortion; a good read on a sensitive topic.

I’m pro-choice and I don’t believe that automatically labels me a bad person. It simply means that I don’t feel it’s my decision to decide what my neighbor, coworker, or the woman in line behind me at the grocery store should do with her body. I don’t think the government should decide that for her or me, either. Of course I'm for life, but I'm also for choice. All pro-choice means is that it’s up to the individual to decide.

One of my brother's was not planning on becoming a father as soon as he did. Granted, he’s 32, but you haven’t met my brother and you’d understand better if you did. He’s an airline pilot and he has the classic, stereotypical pilot looks, down to the chiseled jaw line. The thought of having a child scared him beyond words. He and his girlfriend did decide to have their baby; abortion wasn’t an option for them. But you know what, it was their decision. And they make a great family, are very happy together and great parents … on their terms.

The important thing to remember is that the option was there if they decided to use it and it’s not my business if they had gone that route or not. I fear for the women, especially teenagers, who might not have an option because even if abortion was illegal or parental consent was needed, it would continue in unsanitary, back alley style. I hope this country does not step backward any further on this issue. It has already stepped back far enough in several states.


Update: A related article on CNN.com today if interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home